The Rehabilitation Medicine Department provides a complete range of physical, occupational and speech/language therapies. Each therapeutic service has a common, two-fold objective
- To perform an individualized evaluation of every patient
- To develop a personalized treatment plan that either facilitates recovery of lost function due to an acute process or maximizes function at the highest and safest level possible within the limits of existing disease or disability
At each visit, a licensed physical or occupational therapist (PT or OT) provides ongoing assessment and education services for patients.
Physical therapists at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham focus on the treatment of orthopedic and sports-related injuries.
Occupational therapists at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham are certified hand therapists or are certified eligible, specializing in the treatment of problems related to the hand, wrist and elbow.
- We work collaboratively with referring physicians to provide excellent/appropriate plan of care.
- Speech services are primarily inpatient-based.
- Outpatient swallowing studies via video fluroscopy are available and arranged in consultation with Radiology.
Injuries and illnesses treated through Physical Therapy (PT) include
- Back & neck pain
- Shoulder injuries – Rotator cuff, tendonitis, bursitis, frozen shoulder
- Knee issues – arthritis, ligament strains, meniscal tears
- Ankle sprains, plantar fasciitis
- Balance & walking issues
Injuries and illnesses treated through Occupational Therapy (OT) include
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Post-injury and post-surgical care
- Dupuytrenes contracture
- Fractures and sprains
- Custom designed and hand-made splints