At the Spine Center at BID–Needham, physicians provide comprehensive evaluation and a range of treatments for back and neck problems. Our specialists work together to bring patients the right care from the right expert at the right time, in a convenient location in their community.
Often, treatment does not require surgery. Injections and other related pain procedures can be performed at BID–Needham. When surgery is the best option, we’ll refer you to a surgical specialist who is part of the team. All spine surgery is performed at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston (BIDMC).
Treatment for Back and Neck Problems
We care for adult patients with neck and back problems including
- Conditions caused by aging (degenerative disease)
Lumbar and spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, osteoporosis and fragility/compression fractures of the spine, spondylolisthesis
- Central spinal cord compression (myelopathy) of the cervical and thoracic spine
- Problems with a spinal nerve root (radiculopathy) of the cervical, thoracic or lumbar spine
- Arthritis of the spine
- Tumors of the spine and spinal cord
- Spinal deformities such as scoliosis and kyphosis
- Spine trauma and spinal cord injuries
- Acute or chronic back and neck pain
On site Spine Center services include evaluation, pain management, and physical therapy. Surgery is performed at BIDMC.
- Complete musculoskeletal evaluation
- Comprehensive radiology imaging including MRI, CT scans, bone scans, X-rays and PET scans
- EMG/nerve conduction studies
- Neurology evaluation
- Evaluation for inflammatory arthritis
- Injections (epidural injections, nerve root blocks, facet injections, dorsal rhizotomy, sacroiliac injections)
- Pain specialist consultation
- Spinal cord stimulators
- Radiofrequency ablation
Services include strengthening, stretching, core exercises and manual therapy. There is a complete Rehabilitation Medicine department just across the street from BID–Needham at:
73R Chestnut Street
Needham MA 02492
Utilizing the most advanced surgical techniques, Spine Center surgeons treat all spine conditions from the base of the skull ( cervical spine) to the pelvis (lumbar spine). Surgeons frequently perform decompression, fusion and instrumentation procedures via minimally invasive approaches, as well as via traditional open surgery when appropriate. In addition to procedures such as discectomy, laminectomy and laminoplasty, surgeons perform osteotomies for spinal deformity and treat scoliosis.
Spine Center surgeons bring special expertise in minimally invasive decompression, minimally invasive instrumented fusion, and minimally invasive anterior fusions in the lumbar spine ( direct lateral interbody fusion).
To make an appointment, please call 617-754-9000 between the hours of 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. To reach the specialties clinic located at BID-Needham, call 781-453-5701.
Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham
148 Chestnut Street
Needham, MA 02492